Player Code of Conduct
Player Code of Conduct
- I will play basketball because I want to, not because others want me to.
- I will play by the rules of basketball, and in the spirit of the game.
- I will Respect and adhere to the ideals, policies, and rules determined by FIBA, Basketball Alberta, CBA and my team
- I will show respect at all times for all coaches, all referees, all players, all spectators, and all club officials.
- I will control my temper. I will not fight or use foul or abusive language or inappropriate gestures.
- I will be a team player.
- I will exhibit a high degree of sportsmanship, teamwork and positive attitude at all times when representing my team and the Association.
- I will accept the capabilities of other players.
- I know that winning isn't everything - having fun, playing fair, improving my skills, making friends and doing my best are all important.
- I will acknowledge all good play - that of my teammates and of my opponents.
- I will show respect for the decisions, judgment and authority of the officials and timekeepers.
- I understand that Coaches are there to coach and not to improve my behavior. If I am found to be behaving badly, my coach is permitted to remove me from the event. Furthermore, the responsibility of my behavior outside of team-sanctioned events is not that of team staff but is the responsibility myself, and of my family or guardian.
- I will never take part in a practice, game or team event while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- I will not take part in any form of bullying, either to an opposing player or to a player on my team. Bullying in any form, whether in person, electronically (any form of social media) will not be tolerated. (See Social Media Policy)
- I will not engage in unsportsmanlike conduct with any coach, parent, player, participant, league official or any other attendee.
- I will not engage in any behavior, which would endanger the health, safety, or well being of a spectator, player, participant, league official or any other attendee.
- I will not engage in the use of profanity while attending or participating in any event.
- I will not engage in verbal or physical threats or abuse aimed at any parent, player, participant, league official or any other attendee.
- I will not initiate a fight or scuffle with any parent, player, participant, league official, or any other attendee.
Games and Practices
- I recognize that practices are more important than games
- I will arrive at the gymnasium before practices and games according to the standards set by my team Coach.
- If I cannot make a game or practice, I will notify the team Coach at least 24 hours in advance so that arrangements for substitutes can be made.
- I realize that players who attend practices may get priority in the game starting line-up. Starting line-ups are based on several factors including attendance at practices, player's position, effort, attitude, etc.
- I realize that for me to exhibit to the coaches my skills, ability and hard work, it must be done in practice sessions
- I will turn off all electronic devices (cell phones, video games, etc.) before arrival at my practice, game or team event and leave them off until I am finished.
- I realize playing time is not always going to be equal. Teams will use an “earned playing time” system based on a variety of factors that my coach can explain to me.
- I will leave all venues as neat and tidy as I found them and will remove all refuse from my area.
- I will attend as many games and practices as reasonably possible.
- I will take good care of my uniform and wear it only on game days.
- I will ensure my jersey is tucked in at all times as required by the laws of the game.
- I will wear appropriate footwear, and bring my own water bottle to all games and practices.
- At practices I will wear the CBA supplied approved attire
- I recognize that the team coach will handle infractions that occur at times other than during a game.
- I recognize that infractions that occur during the game are governed by the Laws of the Game and will be decided by the Referee. The result may be a foul, technical foul or removal from the game, in which case there may also be further action, including suspensions by the league discipline committee, tournament coordinators or CBA Administration.
- I recognize that certain serious infractions will result in a discipline hearing convened by the CBA or their delegate, and could lead to additional game suspensions or the removal from the team.
If for any reason the Code of Conduct is not followed by the player, any [one or more] of the following steps may be taken by the coach or the Club:
- Reduce the playing time of the player; and/or
- Suspend the player for some time period
- Remove the child from the team.